Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Nerd Pride Day (Día del Orgullo Friki)

Rocco Stanzione:
How did I not know about this holiday? I'm gonna write a nerd poem for my wife...

Señor Buebo, organizador del Día del Friki. (Foto: Antonio Heredia)


Roses are red,
violets are blue
All my base
are belong to you
Marilyn Olowe:
LOL, Rocco. How about this:
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you ♥
Tracing back from that, I found this by Erin Rose O'Brien:
While rummaging across the internet for wacky holidays, I found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerd_Pride_Day
Apparently, it originated in Spain. You go Spanish nerds. In addition, it falls on the anniversary of the original Star Wars film.

In 2008, Geek Pride Day came to America and in 2009, Canada. So let's rock our nerdiness. Let's get a large number of people to party it up with us.
Irreverent Haiku

Meanwhile, for the past several days, other nerds have been writing other poems, on a Facebook page created by Jeff Sabo. As those who don't have a part-time home on facebook won't be able to see it, I've brought some of my own, and the promise that there are many more and better there.

People are playing with long words. This is my 5-7-5:
Procrastination's
counterintuitively
inspirational.

And before that,
Why do we think it?
That big thoughts will not fit in
Small words of one sound.


and what started me with the five-syllable situation:
In Beowulf's age
Haiku all angled to be
Alliterative



One of my favorite geek-poetry things of all is the error message haiku which have been going around for years. There's no one definitive set, I don't think, as they're passed around as office humor, but here's one site with a collection:
http://www.strangeplaces.net/weirdthings/haiku.html

No comments: